Deggendorf D.P Camp 7
The Deggendorf Displaced Persons Camp was established in May 1945 not February 1945 as reported in previous references. The camp was established specifically for Jewish DPs as the result of a request to the American Joint Distribution Committee for a separate facility.
The buildings were built in 1863 as a hospital and later used as a Wehrmacht barracks and military school. Over 2000 Holocaust survivors many from Theresienstadt lived in the camp many waiting to emigrate to Palestine. The camp was closed in June 1949. Scrip was issued in 7 denominations, 5 cent, 10 cent, 25 cent, 50 cent, 1 dollar, 5 dollar, and 10 dollar. The 5 cent comes in two varieties one with the word cents on the back and the other a misprint with centc. All are very scarce.